The more I swim, the more I try to push myself, the more I get injured.
I need to devise s training strategy that involves more gradual increase in work load but also includes mix of hard and easy swimming.
Practice rapid and slow changes in speed and intensity to get the body accustomed to different swimming conditions.
Include time for active rest. Going hard all the time is only going to lead to fatigue and dull the senses. Vary training, mix it up.
Examples of active rest:
- Focus on different parts of stroke on different days – for example on Monday swim front crawl and on Tuesday swim backstroke.
- Break sessions into sets alternating long and short swims, hard and easy.
- Think in terms of progressions
- Stretch during and after swim.
- Do core training exercises – dry side
- Read a book
- Spend time with friends
- Socialise. Nurture healthy, positive relationships with people .
Mostly drills today
butterfly kick 300m
front crawl kick 300m
backstroke kick 300m
sculling on front 300M
doggie paddle 100m
sculling on back feet first 50m
single arm crawl 300m
single arm fly 400m
fly break stroke drill 300m
Backstroke front crawl 300m
some other stuff (stopped counting)
not particularly taxing on heart and lungs.
technique is improving though. Sculling definitely helps and the 333 mix of butterfly, Brest stroke and crawl.
the best set for cardio
100m alternating front crawl full stroke and backstroke kick.
*tomorrow to swim 1000m alternating backstroke kick and front crawl full. No resting
The thing about all this writing is that it follows hours of swimming, which often involves thinking about nothing but swimming, in particular technique, breathing; trying to maintain good form over a long distance.
I’m not sure if it makes for particularly interesting reading however.
Often after swimming I feel quite drained and the first thing I think about on leaving the water is hydration and nutrition.
The trick is to have quality nutrition to hand: bananas, nuts, water and then to eat a hearty meal, lots of protein!
“stay away from chocolates and cake” i keep telling myself as i lunge at the nearest sugar fix
1. 300m alternating front crawl full stroke and backstroke kick only
2. 300m alternating. Front crawl full stroke and front crawl kick with breast stroke arms .
3. 200m single arm crawl alternating left and right
4. 400m fc full stroke
5. 800m ale sting fc kick and fc full stroke
6. 200 sculling on front
7. 200 doggie paddle
8. 200 sculling on back
9.200m front crawl full stroke
10. 10x100m (25 fly -75 free)
11. 10x100m :
50m -333 fly
25m fly full
25m front crawl full
12. 200m X 10
50m @ 90%